Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] FM is crap, indeed it is!

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] FM is crap, indeed it is!
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2012 12:34:48 -0500

On 02/19/2012 12:29 PM, Justin Kelly wrote:
Hi Marcus,

after your current discovery of the gory details, you might want to consider calling the station on it. better yet send them a post card!

They might not even know there is a problem, if you can provide the stations manager/engineer a picture of the problem. It's usually enough to light a fire under their arse to correct the deficiency. Many stations are looking for an edge in the market, properly tuned equipment goes a long way to improving the experience and their bottom line.

Even a 1st gen USRP is worlds more advanced then the diagnostic tools available when most radios stations were in their construction stages.
Yup, that doesn't surprise me.

I just sent a quick note to them saying "WTF guys?".

I applaud your efforts to write a better decoder! of the little bit of research I have done about RDS and HD radio here in the US. Both are phase locked and cycle specific to the pilot oscillator.

I haven't looked into it that much yet.  There *was* a gr-rds module written a few years back, so maybe I'll find it and see if I can
  integrate it.

If you are going to continue your efforts, I am going to ask that you Please also write an encoder.

who knows maybe it will lead to better station equipment!
Hmmm.  Maybe.  I know that Gnu Radio + UHD + USRP has been used in Europe for production DAB/DAB+ broadcasting in the past
  year.

Justin Kelly
N2TOH