Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Audio Issues

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Audio Issues
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2012 21:10:28 -0500

On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 9:03 PM, Marcus D. Leech <address@hidden> wrote:
On 27/02/12 08:59 PM, Tom Rondeau wrote:

> Try passing the device string "-O pulse" to use pulseaudio, instead.
> You might have to install libpulse0, though. I've found this to be a
> more flexible and reliable sound system.
>
> Tom

I've never found *any* sound subsystem on Linux to be "reliable and
flexible".  And when you have a system
 with *both* Pulse and Alsa-backwards-compat-mode, it's a frikken
nightmare. The problem seems to be that
 for over a decade, everybody wanted *their* Kewl sound subsystem to be
incorporated into Linux distributions.
 So everyone go their wish, and there are no standards.

Bleh.

All I'm saying is that pulseaudio on Ubuntu seems to just work these days.

Tom