[Discuss-gnuradio] How to capture fixed length burst of samples (to avoi

From: Rickard Radio
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] How to capture fixed length burst of samples (to avoid overflow)
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2012 12:22:29 +0100

Hi list,

Two questions:
a)  I would like to know the easiest way (of low complexity) to capture a
certain length/number of samples (or time period), preferably in gnuradio, and
then automagically turn off the uhd-reception (and save received samples to
disk) ?!

b)  Are there any other (kernel, uhd, gnuradio) buffers and settings than
"net.core.wmem_max" and "net.core.rmem_max"  (set with "sysctl" command in
Linux) which affect transmit and receive buffering for uhd/gnuradio ?

Background: I am capturing bursts of samples at very high sampling rate (like
25 MSPS @ 16 bit I&Q, or 50 MSPS @ 8 bit I&Q) and save them to disk for further
offline processing. But for now I have to manually cancel the application
(CTRL-C) after a few seconds to avoid overflow since writing to a normal HDD
does not keep up for saving in continuos real time (which anyway quickly
creates too large files). Also, I have tried to maximize receive (and transmit)
buffering (through mentioned buffers) in order to capture (and buffer) as long
sequences as possible in RAM before saving them to disk and get the inevitable
overflows (resulting in loss of received samples). However, to avoid overflow
without manual interception I would like to capture just as much as the
RAM-buffers can hold (or less) and then automatically turn off the reception so
that the burst of samples can be saved to disk without any overflows and loss
of samples.  Feels like it should be an easy way to accomplish this but how ?!
 FYI: Hardware is USRP N210.

Any help appreciated!

/ Rickard