Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Volk update to master/next

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Volk update to master/next
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2012 12:00:04 -0500

Hi everyone,
I just wanted to inform everyone that we made a significant update to master/next tonight to start using Volk. This merges in my safe_align branch that I mentioned a couple of weeks ago.

After verifying that it was working on various platforms, including the E100 (and therefore ARM/NEON systems), we went ahead with the merge tonight. With luck, the only thing you'll notice is improved speed of your GNU Radio programs.

Please let us know if you experience any trouble from this. We're hoping to cut a 3.5.2 version of GNU Radio this weekend that will incorporate this change.

Take a look at my "Volk Benchmarking" and "Volk Integration into GNU Radio" entries at www.trondeau.com/blog for some more details if you're interested in what all of this means.

Thanks,
Tom

So far, so good.  I had to recompile gr-rds.

I'm running two different Gnu Radio apps on my machine right now--one using USRP the other using the sound subsystem.

My seat-of-the-pants estimate is that overall performance has improved about 15%.

--
Marcus Leech
Principal Investigator