Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] No-go on the GSoC

From: Nick Foster
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] No-go on the GSoC
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2012 12:54:34 -0700

On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 11:05 AM, Tom Rondeau <address@hidden> wrote:
Sorry gang, GNU Radio was not accepted as a mentor organization for the GSoC this year. I'm very disappointed, as I'm sure everyone who helped out here is, too. I thought we had great project ideas and application, but it apparently wasn't enough.

Well, on to the next big thing!

Just to follow up w/ the GSoC thing. Google held their "rejection discussion" meeting today via IRC. Here's what they had to say about the Gnuradio application:

gsocbot: kblin: Next in line is gnuradio|bistrom with notice 'gnuradio http://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/wiki/GSoC'
carols: hi gnuradio folks
gnuradio|bistrom: hi there
carols: so i have similar feedback to the feedback i had for octave.
carols: I'm hoping that you can participate under the gnu project umbrella.
carols: we were making a lot of tough calls on space and this was one i put into the category of that we'd like you to participate under their umbrella.
carols: i really love your ideas page.
carols: and the application.
carols: we just didn't have enough space for everyone.
gnuradio|bistrom: thanks, glad to hear it! glad to hear we're on the right track with the app.
carols: yes, definitely.
gnuradio|bistrom: we'll update & reapply next yr then. thanks!
carols: you're welcome. thank you!
carols: hope you have a good summer and get some students through gnu project.

So good job with the application, everyone (especially Tom!). Students wishing to make a contribution to Gnuradio are still obviously encouraged, and we're happy to find a mentor for anyone wishing to tackle a project.

--n

Tom