Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] constant noutput_items

From: Michael Dickens
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] constant noutput_items
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 08:52:39 -0400

As Martin wrote, the shortest answer is: no, or, well, not really or not
always.  Under some circumstances this could be made work at least sometimes,
but I don't think you can guarantee it all of the time.  For example, many of
the OFDM blocks always process exactly 1 packet's or FFT's worth of data, and
hence have a guaranteed -actual- number of consumed and generated items; the
amount provided and requested by the scheduler may be different that the
actuals (and, I think, generally is).  IIRC, the technique used by these blocks
is to set the I/O signatures, output multiple, and ::forecast such that the
number of I/O items is a multiple of what is required (the packet or FFT
length).  In my (very limited) testing, the OFDM blocks work for their defaults
and sometimes other values; but they're not exactly robust -- some values just
don't work (and, no, I cannot given an example off the top of my head; just go
and play with the OFDM benchmarks).  Good luck! - MLD