Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Problem in the update

From: Adam Nielsen
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Problem in the update
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2012 10:13:59 +1000

Now I am trying to uninstall gnuradio. I am a bit nervous because it is my
first uninstall and the computer isn't mine.

I am doing as http://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/wiki/FAQ tells
me, however, I can't find anything with the name gnuradio or similar in
these folders: /usr/bin, /usr/lib(64). Furthermore, I don't have the folder
/usr/local/lib(64) in the computer. I wonder if this is normal

I just want to check before starting deleting files. I don't want things to
get worse than they are right now

If you want to get every last file, and you know exactly how the old version was compiled (ideally down to the ./configure command) then you could always download that old version, compile it, then run 'make uninstall'. This will remove all the files that would have been installed, so if it matches your original config, every last file in your existing gnuradio installation will be removed.

Of course that's probably overkill, and if you just move the files to another folder instead of deleting them, then you can always move them back if something breaks. In answer to your question, often /usr/local is empty until you start installing things yourself, so having no /usr/local/lib is not unusual.

But if you're going to do the install on lab computers (where presumably there are a number of identical ones) you'd probably be better off taking the opportunity to make a package for whatever OS you're running. Then you can install the same package on all your machines quickly, and when the time comes to do the next update the package manager will take care of removing the old files for you.

Cheers,
Adam.