Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] argggg .. WBX Front end issues

From: John Ackermann N8UR
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] argggg .. WBX Front end issues
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2012 11:47:58 -0400

A nearby lightning strike (but far from a direct hit) took out the LNA on my WBX last fall. I suspect that part of the reason was that the antenna I was using (a discone wide-band antenna mounted on the roof) is not DC grounded and thus can develop a good sized charge.

An anecdote: many years ago I built a ham radio repeater system that was located on the roof of a dormitory building at school. There was a short tower on the roof and the 1/4 wave ground plane antenna was probably about 120 feet above ground. The coax cable went from the antennas down to our ham shack on the top floor of the building. At the bottom of the surplus CATV hardline cable was a PL-259 connector with a "barrel" connector to allow hooking up a flexible jumper. The dielectric between center and shield in the barrel was a clear plastic.

I was working on the repeater one spring day with the antenna disconnected. Every minute or so I heard a faint "pop" sound. When I investigated, I saw blue flashes in the plastic on the barrel connector.

It turned out there was storm activity in the vicinity, and the charge on the 19 inch long whip built up to a level where it arced across the 3/8 inch or so of dielectric. The storm was far enough away that we couldn't hear the thunder inside the building.

Since then, I've preferred to use DC-grounded antennas (or at least to have something in the system that provides a DC path)! Sadly, I didn't follow my own advice last fall...

John
----