Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] volk work - please test

From: Nick Foster
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] volk work - please test
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2012 13:24:00 -0700

On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 1:00 PM, Alexandru Csete <address@hidden> wrote:
On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 8:53 PM, Josh Blum <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hey list,
>
> Nick Foster and I have done a lot of work to simplify and generalize the
> VOLK build system.
>
> * Removed old autotools related generalization
> * Fixes for stand-alone building of VOLK
> * AVX enabled detection support on MSVC
> * Building and generation now share common code
> * The architecture specifications:
> ** feature availability checks are fully specified
> ** required compiler flags listed with compiler association
> * Generated c/h files have corresponding templates
> ** generator code is drastically more readable/editable
>
> The branch is here:
> https://github.com/guruofquality/gnuradio/tree/volk_work
>
> I would appreciate anyone testing the branch, especially on weird machines:
> * does it build?
> * do the unit tests pass?
> * does volk detect correctly?
>
> My opteron says:
> $volk/lib/test_all
> Running 88 test cases...
> Using Volk machine: sse4_a_64_orc

Hi Josh,

I checked out your code few hours ago and tested it on two machines,
both running 32 bit linux.
Compiles fine on both but the same test fails, see attached files.

#$%^&

This is entirely inexplicable. We've seen both the Orc and SSE versions fail (identically, differing from the generic result) on processors from both Intel and AMD.

http://gnuradio.org/redmine/issues/468

Josh, I'm going to implement the FPU environment settings stuff and see if that helps. Shouldn't be hard, it's something we've been meaning to do anyway.

Alex