Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Porting new hardware to GNURadio

From: Getz, Robin
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Porting new hardware to GNURadio
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 10:38:20 -0400

On Thu 26 Apr 2012 03:19, Martin Braun pondered:
> On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 05:37:16PM -0400, Getz, Robin wrote:
> > Which brings me to the question:
> >
> > We already have Linux IIO drivers[8] for all the parts on the board
> > (including the ADCs[9] and DACs[10]), and are just trying to determine
> > how (if at all) this fits within the GNU Radio framework.
>
> Hi Robin,
>
> if you have the drivers, it should be a cakewalk to add sink/source
> blocks.

Are there pointers for doing that?
Looks like:
http://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/wiki/BlocksCodingGuide
?
Is there a "golden" reference to look at? (I assume
gr-howto-write-a-block-3.6.0.tar.gz
should have everything we need?)

> > When I looked at things (which wasn't very long) - I didn't see much in
> > terms of native / real time connections to a platform which was running
> > Linux (PCIe, other other bus). Did I miss something?
>
> What exactly do you mean? The standard GNU Radio source comes with (real
> time capable) drivers for all the Ettus stuff (via UHD), Funcube Dongle,
> soundcards and more (see also
> http://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/wiki/Hardware),

Yeah, that's what I was missing. If it supports Comedi - it should support IIO
without many issues.

SLOC    Directory       SLOC-by-Language (Sorted)
387     gr-comedi       cpp=376,python=11

If that's all that's necessary - it shouldn't take much time at all...

> plus there's
> 3rd-party stuff like Balint's drivers for RTL2832 TV tuners available on
> the webs. These things connect to the PC via USB or GigE.
>
> I'm not sure if that's what you were looking for, though.

Close - although it appears we need to extend our FSF copyright assignments
before we get too busy.

Thanks
-Robin