Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Reorganization and restructuring on 3.6 (master)

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Reorganization and restructuring on 3.6 (master) and 3.7 (next) branches
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2012 10:13:48 -0400

On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 10:37 PM, Andrew Davis <address@hidden> wrote:
>> free weekend
> I had one once!
>
> So any plans for the application specific top-level blocks ( noaa,
> pager, atsc )? I feel these could be moved to the CGRAN, or better yet
> there could be a separate top-level folder for projects like this and
> some of the GCRAN projects could be merged back into the main Gnuradio
> git for better maintenance. ( A lot still use USRP instead of UHD and
> even more still use autotools, this is giving me non-stop problems,
> I'm working on updating a few ) Never hurts to have some well working
> example projects showcasing Gnuradio!

Andrew,
We discussed this a bit on our last developers's call. I think your
last point is one of the main reasons we won't move projects like
gr-noaa or gr-pager out of GNU Radio. We want to keep some well-coded,
working apps in the main source tree as references for people to use
or look to.

Second, CGRAN was built as a way around copyright issues of an FSF
project. Since all code in GNU Radio must assign the copyright to it
over to FSF, some projects wouldn't/couldn't do that, so CGRAN came
about to solve it. That means that many of the projects there are not
able to be moved back into GNU Radio. I'm afraid that with those, I
don't see any way of avoiding bitrot issues unless someone is willing
to take up the cause of maintaining them.

As for a top-level apps directory in GNU Radio. I'm not opposed to it,
but neither do I feel like it's important enough to move the current
apps to something like that. If you have a really compelling argument
for it, though, I'd like to listen.

Tom