Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] What interference signals exist in 5Ghz ?

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] What interference signals exist in 5Ghz ?
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2012 22:03:03 -0400

On Thu, Jun 7, 2012 at 5:05 PM, Guanbo ZHENG <address@hidden> wrote:
> I checked the US spectrum allocation chart, there are some devices like
> radar and satellite communication in the 5GHz bands.
>
> Based on the comment of Cisco,
> "It is generally true that fewer devices currently operating at 5 GHz are
> causing interference as compared to 2.4-GHz devices. But this will change
> over time. Just as everyone moved from 900 MHz to 2.4 GHz to avoid
> interference, the "band jumping" effect will catch up with 5 GHz. Some
> devices that already exist at 5 GHz include cordless phones, radar,
> perimeter sensors, and digital satellite."
>
> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/wireless/ps9391/ps9393/ps9394/prod_white_paper0900aecd807395a9_ns736_Networking_Solutions_White_Paper.html
>
> Guanbo
>

> On Thu, Jun 7, 2012 at 12:47 PM, Sangho Oh <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> It is well know that microwaves, bluetooth, cordless phones are the major
>> interference sources in 2.4Ghz.
>> But what devices (with non WiFi standards) are using 5Ghz band used by
>> 802.11n devices?
>> Specifically for 5180-5350, 5745-5805Mhz.

There are a handful of point-to-point and point-to-multipoint devices
that exist that transmit at 5 GHz. How much of that is deployed, I
can't say.

The FCC's new Spectrum Dashboard is actually a nice tool for looking
into who owns licenses in different frequencies and for different
services in your area.

Tom