[Discuss-gnuradio] Integrating wxgui fft blocks into wxPython GUI applic

From: Nigel Orr
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Integrating wxgui fft blocks into wxPython GUI application - UDP interrupted system calls
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2012 11:25:01 +0100

I am trying to build a gnuradio block into an existing wxPython GUI
application.

The application handles and routes multiple inputs and outputs from wav
files, mics/speakers and Ethernet UDP devices, and has various other
functions, and also has some AM mod/demod blocks. There's no USRP in
there, it's all below 40kHz so is handled directly by a sound card
sampling at 96kHz.

Control of the flowgraph is working perfectly, but I would like to add
some gnuradio wxgui blocks to the application for diagnostics (mainly
FFTs at strategic points).

The problem I have is that when I view the gnuradio tab in my top level
notebook, I get

udp_source/select: Interrupted system call
and the flowgraph appears to stop processing signals

for each of my UDP sources, and the same for audio sources. By adding a
lock() on notebook page changing and unlock() on page changed, I can
stop the audio error appearing, but I can't stop the UDP one. If I
disable the UDP sources and replace them with Null sources, it works OK,
the FFTs are displayed and update and the rest of the application
functions normally (the flowgraph stopping might be a separate problem,
I'll post another question about using UDP)

So far I have tried 2 different approaches:
1) At first, I used by existing GUI top level frame, and passed the
gnuradio class reference to the diagnostics panel so it could create the
FFT graphs with the panel as parent.
2) I have also tried changing the gnuradio class to be a GUI, then using
that for the rest of my application, and passing a reference to a panel
which is now a child of the gnuradio wxgui toplevel block.

In both cases, I create the gnuradio class which defines the flowgraph,
then create the GUI controls etc, then start() the gnuradio class.

I guess it's something to do with the FFT source not being refreshed
when it's not visible, I'm using a wxPython aui Notebook as the top
level of the application if that matters, but it generally behaves the
same as a standard wxwidgets Notebook.

How should I integrate gnuradio into an existing wxpython application?
Does anyone have any examples, or ideas to fix the above problem?

Regards,

Nigel
Nigel Orr
Chief Technologist
Tel: +44 (0) 1224 775700
Fax: +44 (0) 1224 775800
Email: address@hidden
Website: www.nautronix.com
This email is sent and received in accordance with the terms and conditions as defined on our website. To view click here
Nautronix Limited is head-quartered at Nautronix House, Howe Moss Ave, Kirkhill, Dyce, Aberdeen, AB21 0GP. Nautronix is part of Nautronix Group Limited which is registered in Scotland, registered office: 66 Queens Road, Aberdeen, AB15 4YE. Registered Number: SC372837.Nautronix Limited which is registered in Scotland, registered number SC062293, with a registered office at 66 Queens Road, Aberdeen, AB15 4YE is part of Nautronix Group Limited. Nautronix (Holdings) Limited which is registered in Scotland, registered number SC225116, with a registered office at 66 Queens Road, Aberdeen, AB15 4YE is part of Nautronix Group Limited.
This email has been scanned for Nautronix Ltd,
by the Postini Message Security System.