Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GSoC: Filter design enhancements progress

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GSoC: Filter design enhancements progress
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2012 18:14:53 -0400

On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 1:50 PM, sreeraj r <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi John,
> As Marcus already mentioned you can use design functions from firdes module
> (gr_filter_design also uses these modules).
>
> Martin, Josh and Tom gave me many suggestions regarding adding the designer
> to GRC, so that users can launch the designer from GRC itself (something
> like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqLIPHXCM1M&feature=plcp). This
> feature will be added to GRC once the design tool is complete.
>
> Thank you for your suggestions.
>
> ---
> Regards
> Sreeraj Rajendran
> http://home.iitb.ac.in/~rsreeraj
>
> ________________________________

Yeah, I agree with John, it would be nice to be able to get the taps
from the filter design tool into a Python program easily. As Sreeraj
said, this tool uses firdes and optfir from GNU Radio, so you could
just transfer the numbers from one to the other once you're satisfied
with your filter design, but that seems inefficient.

Before handing this off to Sreeraj for the GSoC, I had implemented a
"save as" feature in the tool that saves the coefficients to a CSV
file, so you could, like to said, John, read in these taps. There's no
helper for it, yet, though, so you have to open and read the CSV file
from the basics, but it could easily be rolled into a single function.

On the other hand, since the gr_filter_design tool is PyQT based, we
could create a set of signals and slots to be able to change things
programmatically. With a "get_taps" function, we could have this
program be launched as a dialog box, create the taps, and then
directly import them all from a single Python GNU Radio app. You
wouldn't want to do this all the time, but it could be a nice feature
(for instance, you first check if there is a CSV file of taps, and if
not, launch the design tool to create them and save them for the next
time).

Tom