Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] UDP/TCP stream data block formats

From: Martin Braun (CEL)
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] UDP/TCP stream data block formats
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2012 14:25:46 +0200

On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 12:33:47PM +0100, Guenter Koellner wrote:
> I am wondering about the data formats. As far as I was able to see with
> Wireshark, for example float is 4 bytes IEEE format, but how is I and Q
> arranged? Integer is 32bit wide, but again, how is it with I and Q.
>

> Any hint to a document would be great!

gr_udp_{source/sink}.cc is probably a good place to start looking.

Note that the UDP blocks are agnostic of the data type (like most GNU
Radio stream handling blocks) and read the data as strings.
So if you transmit a gr_complex, think of it as a string of 8 bytes
length.
If endianness is something you're worried about, that might actually be
a problem if your hosts have different endianness.

MB

--
Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT)
Communications Engineering Lab (CEL)