Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Trying to use the complex int16 option of the UHD

From: Nazmul Islam
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Trying to use the complex int16 option of the UHD blocks
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2012 20:58:47 -0400

Thanks, Josh.

How can I specify the peak from GRC generated Python code? For example, when I select the sc8 wire format, the following code is generated through GRC.

stream_args=uhd.stream_args(
                cpu_format="fc32",
                otw_format="sc8",
                channels=range(1),
            ),

If I want to limit the peak to 0.1 (if the received signal is very weak), can I just use the following?

stream_args=uhd.stream_args(
                cpu_format="fc32",
                otw_format="sc8",
                peak = 0.5,
                channels=range(1),
            ),

Thanks,

Nazmul

On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 8:15 PM, Josh Blum <address@hidden> wrote:

On 07/26/2012 05:09 PM, Nazmul Islam wrote:
> Hi Josh,
>
> I am just wondering how the USRP performs the 8 bit mapping for I & Q
> samples. The ADC & DAC have 12 - 14 bit precision, I think. When I select
> the sc8 wire format, does the USRP divide the entire received signal range
> into 2^8 sectors and uses one number to represent each of those?

Technically, there is just a multiply and slice operation. You can
specify peak to optimize for the best use of t 8 bits of dynamic range.
See:
http://files.ettus.com/uhd_docs/doxygen/html/structuhd_1_1stream__args__t.html#a4463f2eec2cc7ee70f84baacbb26e1ef

-josh