[Discuss-gnuradio] Timed commands capabilities

From: Nowlan, Sean
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Timed commands capabilities
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2012 02:40:36 +0000

Hi all,

Has anyone pushed timed commands to their limits? I have a few questions:

1) How many commands fit in the queue?
2) How far in the future can you schedule a timed command?
3) Does the set_command_time() call (and subsequent command call) block? Should these take roughly as much time as the RTT over Ethernet to an N200?
4) I don't necessarily want to call timed commands from the top level GNU Radio flowgraph. I want to delegate that to a custom GNU Radio block. Can commands to the USRP be called from a GNU Radio block other than uhd_usrp_source/sink? If so, what's the best way to communicate between the threads?
5) If I can't do #4 due to GNU Radio's architecture, would it make sense to use stream tags to associate a parameter change (like gain or frequency) with a sample in the stream and implement the timed command calls in gr_uhd_usrp_source/sink blocks acting when it sees the tags?

Thanks,

Sean Nowlan

Sean M. Nowlan
Research Engineer I