Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Error messages when running gr_filter_design for

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Error messages when running gr_filter_design for gnuradio 4.7 on MacPorts
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2013 10:42:41 -0500

On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 10:15 AM, Albert Chun-Chieh Huang <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi, all,

I updated MacPorts to 2.1.3 just now and installed gnuradio-next by the
following command:

$ sudo port install gnuradio-next +full configure.compiler=llvm-gcc-4.2

When I tried to run gr_filter_design, it gave me this error message:
$ gr_filter_design
Please install PyQwt5 to run this script (http://pyqwt.sourceforge.net/)

To execute it, I deactivate qwt forcefully by
$ sudo port -f deactivate qwt

And then install PyQwt5 by:

$ sudo port py27-pyqwt

Then running gr_filter_design works perfectly! Good!

Should gnuradio-next depends on PyQwt5 instead of qwt package?

--
Albert Chun-Chieh Huang(黃俊傑)
Blog: Random Notes, http://alberthuang314.blogspot.com/

Albert,

No, you still need QWT for gr-qtgui. We also don't want to add PyQWT as a dependency since you don't require it to install anything. You need it for runtime on a few apps and examples, but as you saw, we catch that import error and provide a slightly nicer error message about what's going on. I don't like the idea of adding runtime dependencies to the compile time list of requirements. Having said that, we could check for runtime dependencies and not install apps that fail, but this wouldn't stop compilation. I haven't done that, yet, because it's a bit of a management nightmare to keep all of that tied together. I think the runtime error message about the missing Python component is sufficient.

Tom