Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] bit error rate

From: Brian Padalino
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] bit error rate
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2013 21:00:04 -0500

On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 8:47 PM, manjusha <address@hidden> wrote:
ber_before_tx.png
<http://gnuradio.4.n7.nabble.com/file/n40088/ber_before_tx.png>
ber_tx.png <http://gnuradio.4.n7.nabble.com/file/n40088/ber_tx.png>

It doesn't look like you're doing any carrier recovery?

Before putting USRP blocks in there, maybe you should try a straight simulation that adds noise and some frequency offset artificially.  Get that working, and then connect up the USRP source/sink?

I am trying to find the Bit error rate for a vector signal.I get a error
rate of 0.528(i am assuming it to be 52%) when i don't transmit  and an
error rate of 0.625000 when i transmit.

Am i right on this??i dont understand the logic behind it..

Also,is 52% not too high??!!!

Around 50% BER is what you would expect from a random signal.  100% BER is very good since you just need to flip all the bits and you get the right answer!  That is also given the input signal statistics are sufficiently whitened/random.

thank you

You might want to take a step away from putting blocks in GRC and just take a look at some of the resources on the GNU Radio wiki about suggested reading:

  http://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/wiki/SuggestedReading
  http://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/wiki/SuggestedReadingOrder

Sanity is hard to come by if you're dealing with magic.

Good Luck!

Brian