Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNU Radio on Zedboard

From: Douglas Geiger
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNU Radio on Zedboard
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2013 09:29:05 -0400

On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 3:51 AM, Sylvain Munaut <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi,
>

>> Lately there have been several emails about installing GNU Radio on
>> Raspberry Pi and other ARM platforms. I tried to get it installed on the
>> Zedboard *ARMv7*, but I was unsuccessful, with the following error message:
>
> Just from you nick, I would think that the zedboard in question is a
> paralella prototype ?

Minor nit-pick: the Zedboard uses the Xilinx Zynq (dual ARM
Cortex-A9). If you're curious about it, there is a website up at:
http://www.zedboard.org/

> Cheers,
>
>     Sylvain

To address Tommy's original question:
 I don't have a lot of help for you unfortunately - I've built
GNURadio for the ZC702 dev board (which is very similar to the
Zedboard - a full comparison is apparently available here:
http://www.zedboard.org/content/differences-between-zedboard-and-xilinx-zynq-7000-soc-zc702-evaluation-kit)
- but I never natively compile.

 I use OpenEmbedded (technically OE-Core + meta-openembedded - which
has a GNURadio build recipe courtesy of Phil Balister, and pull in his
meta-zynq layer to target the ZC702 via his machine definition). This
lets me build on one of my x86_64 machines, and bring over the
cross-compiled binaries. I find it goes much faster this way, but it
does require some getting used to the OE environment. If you're
interested in trying that system out, Phil has a pretty excellent
getting started guide at:
https://github.com/balister/meta-zynq/wiki/Getting-started

 Since I don't have direct experience with the Zedboard, all I'll do
is point out that a quick google search shows that someone forked
Phil's meta-zynq layer to provide a machine definition specific to the
Zedboard (also on GitHub: https://github.com/milosoftware/meta-zynq).

 Otherwise I'm not sure what is causing your issue: I'm
cross-compiling with GCC 4.7.2 and not seeing any compile errors
(although I'll note the last version of GNURadio I've built was 3.6.3)
- but perhaps you and Sid are seeing the same issue: running out of
available memory, in which case adding more via additional swap space
could solve the problem.

 All that said - I'm glad to see other folks trying out the Zynq - it
strikes me as a very exciting platform for GNURadio-related work.
 Good luck!
  Doug

--
Doug Geiger