Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] New dsp block: no constructor defined

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] New dsp block: no constructor defined
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2013 10:18:26 -0400

On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 10:40 PM, LianFeier <address@hidden> wrote:
>> From: address@hidden
>> Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2013 19:44:26 -0400
>> Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] New dsp block: no constructor defined
>> To: address@hidden
>> CC: address@hidden
>>
>> On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 11:10 PM, LianFeier <address@hidden> wrote:
>> > Hi!
>> >
>> > I'm writing a signal processing block with gr-modtool. I've successfully
>> > make. When I try ctest -V, I get the "No constructor defined" error. The
>> > swig interface file which gr_modtool generates is like:
>> >
>> > /* -*- c++ -*- */
>> >
>> > #define myblock_API
>> >
>> > %include "gnuradio.i" // the common stuff
>> >
>> > //load generated python docstrings
>> > %include "myblock_swig_doc.i"
>> >
>> > %{
>> > #include "myblock/myclass.h"
>> > %}
>> >

>> > %include "myblock/myclass.h"
>> > GR_SWIG_BLOCK_MAGIC2(myblock, myclass);
>> >
>> > I've seen some threads that said swapping the last two lines would help,
>> > but in my case it didn't. I'm using the latest version of gr-modtool(it
>> > generates xx_impl.cc,xx_impl.h and xx.h), and my gnuradio version is 3.6.0.
>>
>> No, you should be fine with the above setup. We fixed that issue a while ago.
>>
>> > Could anybody kindly help?
>>
>> I'm not sure. This usually happens when swig isn't run correctly or
>> installed correctly (are you testing this just with QA code or after
>> installing it?).
>>
>> Can you write down what steps you took when building your code?
>>
>> Tom
>>

> Hi Tom,
>
> Thanks for your reply!
>
> I haven't installed it yet, i am testing it with the QA code.
>
> What I did after editing the files generated by gr-modtool is:
>
> In the directory of my block:
>
> mkdir build
> cd build
> cmake ../
> make
> make test
>
> I only edited the xx_impl.cc, xx_impl.h, xx.h ,qa_xx.py and the .i files
> among the whole bunch of files generated by gr_modtool. Is that all I should
> do?

Yep, that's what you should be doing. What version of the code base
are you working with? Is it a release version or from git? If using
git, are you using the very latest?

> I can now actually piggyback my codes into gnuradio-core and rebuild gnuradio
> to use gr.myclass in python, but that seems to be very tedious. Not sure
> whether this information helps.
>
> Thanks,
> Fei

No, that's not what you want to be doing. One of the whole points of
this project is to allow you to write your own out-of-tree modules to
keep things simpler and more organized for your projects.

Tom