Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] How to save/read sc8 format to/from file and conv

From: Michael Ossmann
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] How to save/read sc8 format to/from file and convert it to complex float 32?
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2013 09:46:07 -0600

On Thu, Jun 06, 2013 at 11:27:02AM -0400, Josh Blum wrote:

> A block that implements this conversion w/ a configurable scalar would
> be ideal.

That would be very nice.  I've been using (for input from sc8 file to a
complex flowgraph):

UChar to Float -> Deinterleave => Float to Complex

Since my samples are unsigned chars, this gives me an offset of
approximately 128 that I can correct with Add Const either before
Deinterleave or after Float to Complex (where it is 128+128j).

Unsigned sc8 is the primary data format used by HackRF, so this may be
interesting to other HackRF users.  The conversion is handled by
gr-osmosdr when communicating with a HackRF directly from GNU Radio, but
files transmitted or received via the hackrf_transfer utility are in the
unsigned sc8 format.

Mike