Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP for physics project

From: n
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] USRP for physics project
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2013 01:42:17 +0100

> Regardless of whether you use the stock FPGA design or a custom one to do raw
> data capture you are going to run up against the basic limits of 1GB/s
> i.e 1Gb/S = 125MB/S = 62.5M 16bit samples/S
>
> The stock image is always going to want to send an I and Q channel, and has
> the option of either 25MSamples/S @ 16bit or 50MSample/S @ 8bits and it's
> going to pass the data through either 1 or 2 low pass FIR filters to decimate
> to that data rate.
> Even if you write a very custom FPGA design that packs 14bit data efficiently
> and uses a raw UDP transport, you would be doing well to  achieve 70MSample
> @14bits over ethernet since real world performance never quite matches
> theoretical.

Thanks for your reply, I think I'll go ahead and order one to play with. I can
live with 25MSamples/S for the moment and try and do some compression later.
The I/Q stuff is more worrying, I guess I can always convert back to real in
software on the host?

It would be nicer not to have to so I may try looking at the Verilog and see
how easy it would be to make these changes. Alternatively if there's a
contractor
out their who would be interested in doing this please mail me!