Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Booting Zynq/Gnuradio

From: Jan Schiefer
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Booting Zynq/Gnuradio
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2013 08:12:36 -0700

> On 08/20/2013 04:32 AM, Jan Schiefer wrote:
>>
>> Now, many many CPU cycles later, I am at the point of booting it. Well,
>> almost. What happens is that Das U-Boot is looking for an initial
>> ramdisk:
>>
>> U-Boot 2013.01 (Aug 17 2013 - 06:32:40)
>>
>> DRAM:  512 MiB
>> WARNING: Caches not enabled
>> MMC:   zynq_sdhci: 0
>> SF: Detected S25FL256S with page size 64 KiB, total 32 MiB
>> In:    serial
>> Out:   serial
>> Err:   serial
>> Net:   Gem.e000b000
>> Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0
>> Copying Linux from SD to RAM...
>> Device: zynq_sdhci
>> Manufacturer ID: 1b
>> OEM: 534d
>> Name: 00000
>> Tran Speed: 50000000
>> Rd Block Len: 512
>> SD version 2.0
>> High Capacity: Yes
>> Capacity: 3.7 GiB
>> Bus Width: 4-bit
>> reading uImage
>> 2855496 bytes read in 415 ms (6.6 MiB/s)
>> reading devicetree.dtb
>> 21734 bytes read in 19 ms (1.1 MiB/s)
>> reading uramdisk.image.gz
>> ** Unable to read file uramdisk.image.gz **
>> zynq-uboot>
>>
>> Why? Because the environment says so:
>> sdboot=echo Copying Linux from SD to RAM... && mmcinfo && fatload mmc 0
>> 0x3000000 ${kernel_image} && fatload mmc 0 0x2A00000 ${devicetree_image}
>> && fatload mmc 0 0x2000000 ${ramdisk_image} && bootm 0x3000000 -
>> 0x2A00000
>>
>> That doesn't seem quite right, I am assuming this should use the rootfs
>> in
>> the rootfs partition, shouldn't it?
>>
>> So my question is, am I missing something, or is the zynq Wiki page
>> missing a little section on how to set up the U-Boot environment
>> variables
>> in the flash?
>
> I assume you figured out you need to modify the bootm command so it does
> not look for the ramdisk?  The default config from Xilinx is somewhat
> obsessed with booting from a ramdisk :) I'm looking into some ways of
> modifying the bootloader behavior without rebuilding it all the time.
>
> What zynq hardware are you using?
>
> Philip

This is on a Zedboard. I did figure out that I need to change mboot
parameters, but I haven't studied the whole setup enough to know what all
else needs to change. So I thought I'd ask :-).

When you write about modifications, are you referring to more advanced
ways to load bitfiles rather than sticking them in the boot image?

Regards,
   Jan