Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] LDPC GSoC Project Status

From: Perez, Tracie R
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] LDPC GSoC Project Status
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2013 20:47:31 +0000

Hello all once again,

I'd like to thank everyone who has given me helpful feedback since my last
status. I really appreciate the thoughtful comments.

I solved the issue regarding getting my matrices to work with the encoder
algorithm. For the parity check matrices, I'm constructing regular LDPC parity
check matrices per a simple algorithm described in Gallager's original 1963
thesis on this topic. However, per design, the matrices are never full rank, so
I then process them to be so. Then, the matrices are ran through a
pre-processing algorithm to set them up for efficient, low complexity encoding
per a process described by Richardon and Urbanke. I call the resulting matrix
an "encoding-ready" parity check matrix, and it takes days to generate each one
(bigger = more days). I would like to build up to matrices for n=5000 because I
believe this is the ballpark for codeword lengths used in industry. As my
scripts create these matrices, I am pushing them to a library of sorts on my
github repo. Of course the idea is that the time is invested in creating them
once, and then they can be used as needed after that.

There are regular parity check matrices already available on the web by Dr.
MacKay, but they are not full rank, so they won't work with my encoder. By the
time I reduce them to be full rank, the information rate that they offer is
unacceptably low. So, this is why I have gone the route of generating my own
matrices that are compatible with Richardson and Urbanke's encoding algorithm.

Next, I ran into an issue with my decoder failing for large size codewords.
That tied me up for a few weeks. After much troubleshooting, I discovered that
the issue stemmed from rounding errors from numpy doing mod 2 operations. I
won't go into to much detail since I will be porting this algorithm out of
python to C++ anyway. After manually correcting this rounding issue, my hard
decision bit-flip decoding algorithm performed really well in the prototype
python tests that I did. To simulate errors, I manually introduced bit flips
and checked that the decoder could detect and correct them. I have tested
codewords up to 2400 bits in length, and the algorithm can correct a few errors
in 1 or 2 iterations, which is actually much faster than I anticipated. I will
be testing larger codewords as I construct larger and larger parity check
matrices.

Now I am at the point where I am converting my python code into C++. After
thinking about how best to do this, we (Jens, Nick and I) agreed that it made
sense to fork Nick McCarthy's fecapi repo. So, I have done this, and I will
create classes that inherit from and use the FEC API classes that he has
already written. This will hopefully allow me to eventually use the BER curve
generator to do final tests of my implementation.

Because there are so many matrix operations, I am using the GNU Scientific
Library (GSL) in my C++ code. I thought that this would be a reasonable
approach since GSL is a required dependency for gr-wavelet, and, if I am not
mistaken, a user would get the GSL as part of the standard install via pybombs.
I do think that there will be many opportunities to increase efficiency by
using VOLK, but I don't think that will fall within the scope of this summer's
project. I will be flagging potential VOLK code replacements with something
like "FIXME - consider replacing this with VOLK library functions."

As always, I welcome any feedback that you have!

Thanks,
Tracie Perez