Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Officially recommended version?

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Officially recommended version?
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2013 11:09:35 -0400

On 09/16/2013 10:40 AM, Alexandru Csete wrote:
Greetings,

I've been going nuts over the past few weeks why new users end up with
gnuradio 3.6. Clearly, some of them want to use some funky stuff that
has not yet been ported to 3.7, but there are also others who are just
clueless and end up with 3.6 by following the instructions.

Indeed, according to
http://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/wiki/InstallingGR
The recommended way to install is the build-gnuradio script and this
script installs the latest 3.6 release. There is no option to install
the latest 3.7 release and there is no option to uninstall previously
installed 3.6!

This may have worked six months ago when there was only 3.6, but it is
not acceptable today - unless 3.6 really is the recommended version,
which in turn would make me feel like an idiot for distributing stuff
that requires 3.7...

Anyway, I don't mind having the build-gnuradio script as the
recommended tool for installing gnuradio but it should at least offer
the latest 3.7 release and force the user to make a decision whether
to install 3.6, 3.7 or master.

Finally, it is unclear to me what the recommended way to uninstall
gnuradio is when using this script. I've seen some people talk about
an "uninstall-gnuradio" script but I can't find any official reference
to that.

Alex