Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Getting to know about USRP FPGA programming

From: marcus
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Getting to know about USRP FPGA programming
Date: Wed, 02 Oct 2013 23:36:43 +0200

Hi Naceur,
On 2013-10-02 21:57, Naceur wrote:

What I want to try with the USRP's FPGA is to send it a stream of packets
(Header + Payload),
header field's length being known and fixed in advance, I need the FPGA to override a part of the Payload's field with its time register's value and
send the stream after.
Is that possible first then what steps to do ?
This is possible. However, you have to be aware: The USRPs are basically ADCs and DACs on steroids with mixer daughterboards. So you don't transfer streams of packets from Host to USRP to get them onto the ether, you send streams of complex time samples that encode such packets. So, the USRP does not see packets, it sees streams (or bursts) of samples. You could of course write some HDL to replace certain samples in a sample stream with other samples, but then you would have to do modulation in hardware -- this is not really the first thing I'd try when learnig how to use the FPGA in a USRP.

Hope that helped,
Marcus