Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Changing Bandwidth USRP

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Changing Bandwidth USRP
Date: Fri, 04 Oct 2013 13:41:22 +0200

This is a completely different problem, is it? Bandwidth is orthogonal to the
concept of dynamic range and amplitude values.

Anyway, your FFT plot knows about complex samples; therefore, it displays dB relative to
the numeric value of "1.0"; this has nothing to do with your input signal
power. But since USRP/daughterboards tend to work linearly over most of their available
power range, you can just add a multiply_const to your signal processing flowgraph and
get your value.
The factor, however, depends on your ADC/daughterboard combination, on the gain you set
for the RF frontend, a little bit on temperature, the tuner, the impedance matching of
your RF input to the Daughterboard etc.  So if you already know what you're putting in,
just use this as a reference and "calibrate" yourself.

Hope that helped clear things up,

Marcus