[Discuss-gnuradio] The GSoC project on LDPC codes.

From: Manu T S
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] The GSoC project on LDPC codes.
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2013 20:38:59 +0530

Hello Everyone,

I'm Manu, one of the GSoC student under GNU Radio this year. I worked on LDPC Codes, mentored by Jens. Another GSoC student Tracie also worked on LDPC Codes this summer. We both worked such that there is minimum duplicates and both our work complemented each other.

As the final output I have an Out Of Tree module gr-ldpc which implements a generic decoder and a generic encoder for LDPC codes. The encoder block expects an LDPC code specified in alist[1] format. There are two decoder blocks, one for Binary Symmetric Channel model and another for AWGN Channel model. The decoder implements the sum product algorithm[2]. Also two algorithms for construction of LDPC codes have been implemented. I prepared a video presentation of my work to be presented at GR Con 2013, and the presentation is available at  http://home.iitb.ac.in/~manu.ts/presentation.pdf (presentation) and http://home.iitb.ac.in/~manu.ts/presentation.ogv (video). The gr-ldpc OOT module is available at https://github.com/manuts/gr-ldpc. During the project we also worked on porting the codes to fecapi, which is a wonderful framework for developing FEC blocks. I'm yet to finish porting gr-ldpc to FECAPI framework.

Overall, GSoC 2013 was a great experience. Frankly, I was not able to meet all the goals set in my proposal. I hope to fulfill all that I promised in the future. The encoder/decoder blocks have to be optimized. And in future I intend to bring more of Coding techniques into fecapi framework.

There is lot many people to whom I'm thankful for this wonderful experience. I don't pick any name just so that the mail is concise as possible. I also thank the entire GNU Radio community for this opportunity.

Hoping for the feedbacks on the module,

--
Manu T S

[1] http://www.inference.phy.cam.ac.uk/mackay/codes/alist.html