[Discuss-gnuradio] QtGui in background or separate thread

From: Victor User
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] QtGui in background or separate thread
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2013 13:28:25 -0700 (PDT)

Hello,

I have a python program that does some signal processing on packets collected with the USRP and flowgraph.  Inside the constructor of my python class, I create an instance of my top-block object.  I'm trying to use the QtGui sink to display the spectrum while the processing is going on.  My constructor to my python class looks like:

def __init__(self, **kwargs):
    internal variables ....
    self._tb= top_block_ctor( **args )
    self._tb.start()
    self._tb.qapp.exec_()

My problem is the blocking that occurs with the qapp.exec_().  If I remove that line in my constructor, then my processing works fine (without the display).  If I leave that line, then my spectrum display works, but I don't start the processing until I close the display.  I know that this is what the 'blocking' should do.

However, I would like it to not block or somehow run in another thread so that the display is "live" while the processing is going on.

Is there a way to do this? I could not fine any examples on-line.

Thanks