[Discuss-gnuradio] Idea for gr-osmosdr

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Idea for gr-osmosdr
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2013 15:32:11 -0400

In developing simple_ra, I've run up against the issue that GRC doesn't really allow run-time reconfiguration of flow-graphs, but I have an emerging need to support slightly-different hardware configurations, involving either one or two input devices.

This is both for interferometer support, and differential radiometer support. Now, I *could* laboriously maintain several different flow-graphs, and carefully maintain "operational consistency" between them, but I'd vastly prefer to support it all in a single flow-graph, with the ability
  to configure "features" at run time.

I think I can get most of the way there with existing functionality in GRC, but I'd like the ability to ask for a "fake" device (perhaps producing zeros, or gaussian noise). That way, for single-device configurations, the 2nd channel can just be noise or zeros, which I just use a bit
  of flow-graph "algebra" to "do the right thing" with.

The gr-osmosdr source already provides a gaussian-noise stream when you misconfigure devices, but it's fixed at 1Msps. It would be useful if this functionality could be made more "formal", and allow the effective sample rate to match the sample-rate of the "hardware participant"
  in a pair.

This isn't really the "right" way to go about this, but the "right" way requires a fair amount of roto-routering of GRC, or that I write my code
  in Python, and avoid GRC.  I'd rather not do that.

--
Marcus Leech
Principal Investigator