[Discuss-gnuradio] Complex to bits

From: Gui Ritter
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Complex to bits
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2013 10:11:33 -0300

Hi everyone.

Thanks for all the replies on my previous thread. I did some tests and found out that the FFT and IFFT do not add noise to my audio signal. It works perfectly! The noise is coming from another part of my flowgraph.

Before I introduced the FFT and IFFT, I was working with an audio signal that was scaled and converted to int, so it could be unpacked into bits; those bits were processed and retrieved, packed, converted to float, descaled and turned back to audio. There was no noise then. Adding the FFT and IFFT made me use the complex type before the unpacking, so what I was using to make it possible to unpack the signal into bits no longer worked properly.

I tried changing the scale constant, converting from complex to IShort and unpacking that, but neither worked.

So, my question is: how do I unpack a complex signal into bits, and then pack it back? Considering I'm working on a audio signal that shouldn't get noise added to it.

Thanks in advance.