[Discuss-gnuradio] Using hardware based coprocessors in GNU radio

From: Muhammad Junaid Muzammil
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Using hardware based coprocessors in GNU radio
Date: Sat, 8 Feb 2014 14:00:12 +0500

Hello,

I am Junaid, currently a Masters student. The topic pretty much inspired me, although I couldn't create a clear picture in my mind. The project is about using coprocessors for acceleration, so basically the target would be a heterogeneous sytem consisting of a RISC microprocessor preferably belonging to ARM family alongwith coprocessors which can be either FPGAs or DSPs. The hardware cores are always faster than the software cores, there is no doubt in that. Similarly DSP due its architecture shows better performance towards signal processing functions. Both these coprocessors will perform acceleration by taking some workload from uP.

Now which particular functions/tasks will be taken, this isn't clear to me at this stage and I am looking forward to get some details over it.

Junaid