Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] psk mod and channel model

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] psk mod and channel model
Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2014 10:27:51 +0000

On Sat, Feb 8, 2014 at 11:32 AM, Marco Bosco <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I am trying to do a simple simulation in GRC:
>
> Signal source --> Packet encoder --> PSK mod --> Channel model --> PSK demod
> --> Packet decoder --> Scope sink
>
> The problem is that it works only if I enable differential encoding. How can
> I make it works without using a differential encoding? (I don't want to
> remove the channel model)
>
> Thanks,
>
> Marco.

Non-differential PSK has phase ambiguities, so you need to properly
rotate the constellation so that the receiver can properly decode the
symbols to the correct bits. Differential allows us to avoid dealing
with this ambiguity. You'll need something in the receiver that can
detect the rotation after the receiver locks and correct that.

Tom