[Discuss-gnuradio] New Gnuradio / SDR live DVD for i386 available for te

From: M Dammer
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] New Gnuradio / SDR live DVD for i386 available for testing
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2014 12:23:00 +0000

I have created a new Gnuradio / SDR live DVD for i386 architecture. The disk called SDRLive! is available via bittorrent.
Kristoff Bonne is so kind to seed the image at the moment, because I am only having a slow rural broadband connection and no server space. I would like to ask everyone who downloads the image to keep their bittorrent client running and join the seeders.
You can download the torrent from here: http://mdammer.net/sdrlive/sdrlive32bit_20140209.torrent
I could only test the disk with RTL-SDR, because I have no other SDR hardware available.
Please let me know what you think. Any feedback is welcomed.

Mark

Here is a description of the disk - you get the same on the welcome page when starting the disk:

About this disk
With this live DVD you can run Gnuradio, Gnuradio based applications and other helpful programs related to software defined radio and digital signal processing without the need to install anything on your computer. SDRLive is meant as a starting point for people who want to try out SDR and for educational purposes.
The disk is based on XUbuntu 12.04 LTS 32bit and should run on almost any x86 based system.
The default username is "xubuntu" with the password "xubuntu" (both without quotes).
There is a second useraccount "packager" with password "packager" that was used to create the live DVD.

Main features
- lightweight XFCE desktop environment
- support for USRP, RTL-SDR, FuncubeDongle(pro), OsmoSDR, HackRF and other SDR hardware. Not all have been tested.
- most of the applications can use the sound system as signal input / output. This is good for playing around with signal processing :-)
- Pulseaudio can be disabled or run with 44.1 / 48 / 96 Khz samplerate via buttons in the Application Menu.
- Jack Audio Connection Kit can be configured / started via QjackCtl.
- Gnuradio and related applications are built with PyBombs. Additional packages can be easily installed via PyBombs.
- Certain server applications (SSH, CUPS printserver, AVAHI mdns) are installed, but not started at boottime.
  These services can be easily started or stopped from the command line. Example for CUPS:
  sudo service cups start
- A TightVNC server for remote desktop access can be started by entering "tightvncserver" (without quotes) in the terminal.
  You will be asked to set a password at startup.

Main Contents of the DVD
SDR applications
- gnuradio 3.7 PyBombs build with all dependencies installed
- gqrx SDR receiver
- gr-air-modes Mode "S" ADS-B receiver
- OsmoSDR
- RTL-SDR
- HackRF
- RTLSDR-Scanner Frequency scanner application for RTL-SDR dongles
- Linrad Versatile and lightweight X11 and console SDR application
- Quisk Python based SDR application

Audio DSP applications
- Audacity
- Sonic Visualiser