Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] gnuradio-3.6.5 test failed

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] gnuradio-3.6.5 test failed
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2014 10:20:38 -0500

On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 10:13 AM, YiZiRui Zhou <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 9:51 PM, Howard He <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> Ubuntu 12.04 Desktop (32-bit), intel i5 CPU, GNUradio 3.6.5 by source
>>
>> After running "make test", it displayed
>>
>> 99% tests passed, 2 tests failed out of 239
>>
>> Total Test time (real) =  92.42 sec
>>
>> The following tests FAILED:
>> 143 - test_gr_filter (Failed)
>> 219 - qa_ofdm_txrx (Failed)
>> Errors while running CTest
>>
>> After installing spicy, the second test was passed. However, running
>> "ctest -V -R test_gr_filter", we found that
>>
>> UpdateCTestConfiguration  from
>> :/home/zlb/gnuradio/build/DartConfiguration.tcl
>> UpdateCTestConfiguration  from
>> :/home/zlb/gnuradio/build/DartConfiguration.tcl
>> Test project /home/zlb/gnuradio/build
>> Constructing a list of tests
>> Done constructing a list of tests
>> Checking test dependency graph...
>> Checking test dependency graph end
>> test 143
>>     Start 143: test_gr_filter
>>
>> 143: Test command: /bin/sh
>> "/home/zlb/gnuradio/build/gr-filter/lib/test_gr_filter_test.sh"
>> 143: Test timeout computed to be: 9.99988e+06
>> 143: ........Using Volk machine: avx_32_mmx
>> 143: ..........F
>> 143:
>> 1/1 Test #143: test_gr_filter ...................***Failed    0.62 sec
>>
>> 0% tests passed, 1 tests failed out of 1
>>
>> Total Test time (real) =   0.63 sec
>>
>> The following tests FAILED:
>> 143 - test_gr_filter (Failed)
>> Errors while running CTest
>>
>> And I didn't find any helpful information on this and look forward for
>> help.
>>
>> What's more, installing GNUradio-3.7 on 32-bit Ubuntu under 64-bit
>> computer will meet other test failure.
>>

> Hi Howard,
>
> Although I do not know the reason of this problem clearly, I think
> installing Ubuntu 64-bit system on a 64-bit CPU processor may be a good
> choice. A few months ago, I faced the same problem as you, strange things
> happened to VOLK (or something) when a 32-bit system run on a 64-bit CPU
> processor.  I tried a pile of methods to solve it. Unfortunately, all of
> them failed. So I installed the 64-bit Ubuntu system and all things go well.
>
> Of course, this is not a good solution. I want to know the specific reason
> and the way to solve it either. :)
>
> Zhou

I /thought/ we had solved the 32-bit OS on a 64-bit platform with
VOLK, but it is a particularly nasty issue. I know our 32-bit VMs on
64-bit systems works fine now. But this problem is difficult because
it's a fairly rare setup these days. Most things are now 64-bit
compatible, so unless you have a /very/ specific reason for using a
32-bit OS, my recommendation is to update to 64-bit. It'd still be
nice to not have this problem, but I just don't see the benefit of a
32-bit OS these days.

Tom