Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] gr-audio OSX fixes test branch

From: Michael Dickens
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] gr-audio OSX fixes test branch
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 22:06:46 -0500

Another update to < https://github.com/michaelld/gnuradio/tree/fix_gr_audio_osx
>:

+ the audio source should be working fully now;  I've tested with both the
built-in mic and a FUNcube Dongle Pro (not Pro+) and device selection works and
sample rates are correct;

+ audio source devices can be added and removed, and the source device usage
will be reconfigured on the fly (sink does not work like this yet; hopefully
tomorrow ...);

+ fixes a bug making low sample rates usable again (source and sink);

+ should not have any multi-threading conflicts (source; sink does not have
these yet);

+ can use the "Default Audio Device" and switch it using System Preferences on
the fly (source only right now; sink hopefully tomorrow ...).

Now that the source works with all this "on the fly" stuff, it'll be simple to
move that over to the sink -- of course, I do not have multiple audio sinks
from which to choose so I'll make those changes, push them, and hope someone
else can test them for functionality.  Since the sink and source codes will be
roughly equivalent in threading / protection, they should both work the same
for "in the fly" stuff.

If you want do use MacPorts to test out these changes, here's what I recommend
you do:

1) make sure the gnuradio-devel port is installed and up to date
{{{
sudo port -f deactivate `port installed | grep gnuradio | sed -e
"s@(active)@@g"`
sudo port install gnuradio-devel
sudo port selfupdate
sudo port upgrade gnuradio-devel
}}}

2) Download the patch for these fixes; you can get them via my github branch
above (commit eaf27b15b4), and I've also put them into DropBox:
< https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/16655336/gr-audio-osx-wip-2014-02-25.diff

3) Patch gnuradio-devel; change "/PATH/TO" to be the correct path to the patch:
{{{
sudo port patch gnuradio-devel
cd `port work gnuradio-devel`/gnuradio*
sudo patch -p1 < /PATH/TO/gr-audio-osx-wip-2014-02-25.diff
}}}

4) build gnuradio-devel:
{{{
sudo port build gnuradio-devel
}}}

5) install the gr audio library (assuming PREFIX=/opt/local; if not, change the
"cp" destination):
{{{
cd `port work gnuradio-devel`/build/gr-audio/lib
sudo cp libgnuradio-audio.3.7.3git.dylib /opt/local/lib
}}}

6) Try it out!  For example:
{{{
/opt/local/share/gnuradio/examples/audio/audio_fft.py -r 96000 -I FUN
/opt/local/share/gnuradio/examples/audio/dial_tone.py -r 1200 -O Built
}}}

Try different rates, and different I/O devices.  You should see printouts from
"audio_osx_source" and "audio_osx_sink" with information about what it's doing.

Let me know what you think! - MLD