[Discuss-gnuradio] Async message flow control

From: Nowlan, Sean
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Async message flow control
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2014 17:00:27 +0000

How does one achieve flow control with the new style message passing API? I have a use case in which I’m generating packets in one flowgraph and pushing them through a pdu_to_tagged_stream (P2TS) block to be modulated in another flowgraph. I believe I’m overwhelming the P2TS block’s queue because I get warnings about dropped messages. One hack I made was to insert a throttle block into the packet generating flowgraph. This helped a bit, but I have to guess the magic throttle rate at which I don’t fill up the queue. Is there a way to have P2TS block when its queue is full and therefore generate backpressure on the upstream flowgraph?

I basically have flowgraph (FG1) --> message domain --> flowgraph (FG2) --> USRP. FG1’s flow rate is not constrained by streaming backpressure. FG2’s flow rate is constrained by a USRP. To constrain FG1’s flow rate I either have to use a throttle block or find a way to enforce flow control in the message domain.

Thanks,

Sean