Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Creating OOT module

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Creating OOT module
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2014 08:57:40 +0100

Hi Арсений,

gr_modtool is usually included in the distribution, because it must fit to your GR version.
If you can't find it you a) have a *very* old version of GNU Radio or b) it wasn't installed correctly, but if you say you did it by the wiki, then it should be fine... strange.
so: how did you install GNU Radio, and what does "gnuradio-config-info -v" say?

Posting the vebatim error that gr_modtool throws would possibly help, too.

Because you asked other questions, just a few short answers :) :
> Is wiki about OOT correct?
http://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/wiki/OutOfTreeModules
Is correct :)

>Only gr_modtool allows to create new OOT module?
Technically, you can create OOT modules however you like, figure out how to set up a build system, figure out how to install files, find libraries etc...

But I don't know anyone who doesn't use gr_modtool. It just makes things so much easier and fail-safe. What it basically does is copy a OOT module template and do a few intelligent things like filling in your module name.
When you later want to add blocks, it has mechanisms to add them so that they automatically are integrated into the build process, etc.

And: When one experiences problems, one can go and ask the community, and they will understand the problem, because they understand how the OOT module is structured.

Greetings,
Marcus

On 03/05/2014 09:41 PM, Арсений Соболев wrote:

Hello everyone!

Met a problem, cannot create OOT module. Red manuals, wiki, howto...

In wiki says, that gr_modtool is included in distribut of GNURadio, but I have not found it there. I download it from ftp, but, again, problem. I do everything as said in wiki.

gr_modtool newmod howto - works without problem, creating derectory and files. Change derectory to created, as said in wiki, then:

gr-howto % gr_modtool add -t general square_ff - here is problem. It says, that gr_modtool can`t finde GNURadio files.

Using last version of GNURadio, Ubuntu 12.04. Everything do as said in manuals.

Is wiki about OOT correct?

Only gr_modtool allows to create new OOT module?

Sorry for such formulation of a questions, don`t now, how to ask it other way.