Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GSoC: Multiple students working on an idea.

From: Jens Elsner
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GSoC: Multiple students working on an idea.
Date: Sun, 09 Mar 2014 19:51:39 +0100

Hi Jared,

Am 09.03.2014 19:30, schrieb Jared Boone:
"11. What happens if two students are accepted to work on the same
project, e.g. from an organization's Ideas list?"

"That's fine, a little duplication is par for the course in open source."

I take this to mean I should have both students submit proposals, and
that there's a possibility both of them will be selected to work on
the project. Does that sound right? I'm guessing my project idea is so obscure there's very little chance of Google wanting to dedicate *two*
students to it. But it seems like that's the only way both students
will be able to receive a stipend. Bummer...

Google only tells us how many slots for students we get, they don't care about how we allocate them to projects. I was a mentor for two LDPC-related projects last year. The projects covered the same area and we decided to split the work
along the lines of different encoding/decoding algorithms. I think your
proposal could be handled in a similar way.

Jens