Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Proposal for GSoC on gr-gsm

From: Martin Braun
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Proposal for GSoC on gr-gsm
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2014 10:00:41 +0100

On 03/11/2014 04:40 AM, zhenhua han wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> As Martin Braun noticed in the mail list yesterday, I haven't open my
> proposal here.
>
> Here is the link:
> https://github.com/hzhua/grgsm_proposal
>
> If you have any suggestions, please don't be hesitate to contact me.
>
> Thanks to Sylvain Munaut for his help on reviewing my first draft.
> Thanks to Piot Krysik for his suggestions on gr-gsm.

Hey,

congrats on publishing the first proposal! It looks quite good.

It's unclear if you have good algorithms to implement your deliverables.
A few hints:

- The FCH detection can be efficiently implemented using an adaptive
filter. Here's a paper that explains the technique, although it's very
poorly written:
http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/login.jsp?tp=&arnumber=1404796&url=http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpls/abs_all.jsp?arnumber=1404796

There's also some code for this somewhere... can't find it right now.

- A CEL student wrote a highly optimized MLSE, specifically for GSM, a
while back (a *long* while back, it still uses autotools). Still, the
code is very good, and there's a lot to be taken out of this. He tried
out a lot of compiler switches, too, so check out lib/Makefile.am.

https://github.com/pgoeser/gnuradio-mlse.git

It assumes frame synchronization (i.e. post-SCCH sync), but you just
drop in a frame, and it returns the equalized result.

MB