Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Where to start in learning to develop and contrib

From: Martin Braun
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Where to start in learning to develop and contribute to GNU Radio?
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2014 15:27:49 +0200

Hey Ken,

welcome to the crew, and I'm happy to hear you're interested in
participating.
Let me add to Marcus' email:

First of all, we have a page for people like you:
http://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/wiki/Development.

On 04/11/2014 11:46 PM, Marcus Müller wrote:
>> For example, an known issue that I would like to eventually be able
>> to work on is solving Message Passing blocks not terminating from
>> head block (and similar) termination.
> That's actually a rather complicated scheduler problem. A solution is
> highly desirable, but to make it short: The GNU Radio asynchronous
> message passing interface does not support specifying an "end of
> usage" state for the message port. If GR stopped execution when the
> synchronous sample stream flowgraph was finished, not all messages
> might have been delivered...
> I see this as an architectural challenge, actual.

Yeah, hold back on that. Even if it were simple, deep architectural
changes like this need to be discussed. We have monthly calls you can join.

>> So my question is, what type of road map should I construct for
>> learning the in's and out's of gnu radio, from custom module
>> writing, all the way down to the scheduler. I have the absolute
>> basics down (writing blocks in python) and will move to the C API
>> next. But I'm not sure on where to start understanding the
>> foundation of how it all works together.

Make sure you've read all there is on the wiki.
Something we want to do is to port all Python blocks to C++, maybe
that's a good place to start. I think the FM pre-/de-emphasis blocks are
among those, if you want a place to start.

Have fun, and come back here for questions!

Martin