Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] OFDM Example, 'Noisy' final symbol

From: David Halls
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] OFDM Example, 'Noisy' final symbol
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2014 15:17:04 +0000

Sorry, my fault - I altered the FDE so it *does* give soft outputs, because the constellation decoder makes hard decisions anyway - so I didn't see the need for it to be done twice.

I forgot i'd made changes :s But now maybe I understand why people haven't seen this issue - because they have never looked at the soft outputs of the FDE!!

I am not quite clear how the pulse shaping works, it seems to extend each *packet* by rolloff_len/2 samples, it works out the flanks by

for (int i = 1; i < d_rolloff_len; i++) {
d_up_flank[i-1] = 0.5 * (1 + cos(M_PI * i/rolloff_len - M_PI));
d_down_flank[i-1] = 0.5 * (1 + cos(M_PI * (rolloff_len-i)/rolloff_len - M_PI));
}

Which makes sense...

then applies using

if (d_rolloff_len) {
for (int i = 0; i < d_rolloff_len-1; i++) {
out[i] = out[i] * d_up_flank[i] + d_delay_line[i];
d_delay_line[i] = in[i] * d_down_flank[i];
}
}

Is it extending the symbol and then shaping? Not sure I understand why each *packet* is extended by rolloff_len/2, not each symbol.

Is pulse shaping applied in the USRP, and can this be controlled from USRP_sink?

Phew!

DH