Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] [USRP-users] usrp N210 antenna selection

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] [USRP-users] usrp N210 antenna selection
Date: Thu, 01 May 2014 17:37:04 +0200

Hi Sreena,

usually, you want an antenna matching your carrier frequency.
Many simpler antenna geometries (basically, dipoles) scale down
relatively gracefully when used at wavelengths larger than what they
where designed for,
only loosing a few decibels.
I have seen people do ~30MHz TX with an USRP using naught but a
straightened paperclip, but they're reach was in the 0.5m-4m range...
I personally would not call this antenna, because I suspect it was not
actually used to emit waves but to couple an electrical field into the
receiver antenna directly (distance being significantly smaller than
wavelength).

Again, if this works depends completely on your application.
If you're building a communication system, you will have to buy hardware
for your desired frequency band sooner or later, anyways.

As it seems to me, you're neither already bound to a specific carrier
frequency, nor to a specific antenna (since you don't have one yet), and
I don't know if you have access to daughterboards with a different
frequency range; I actually don't know anything about what you're trying
to do.

If you could shed some light on your desired usage, it would actually be
possible to really be of help to you ;)

Greetings,
Marcus