Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] [USRP-users] usrpN200 + TVRX2 50-860 MHz Rx x 2 f

From: Bogdan Diaconescu
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] [USRP-users] usrpN200 + TVRX2 50-860 MHz Rx x 2 for DVB-T
Date: Thu, 8 May 2014 23:35:40 -0700 (PDT)

The snr was determined only by looking at uhd_fft display and making the difference between the plateau of the signal and the noise floor. The maximum level I could obtain moving the antenna in the lab close to the window was between 45dB-50dB and of course it is just a calitative information only as the USRP was not calibrated for precise measurements.

On longer term it is necessary that the program itself will measure the SNR as the OFDM synchronizer uses maximum likelihood algorithm for now which is dependent on SNR. I'm working on an SNR estimator based on the pilots that are sent on the OFDM together with the payload and that will also display the SNR for the end user.

One other SNR measure that is usually employed for characterization of constellation type of signals is MER (Modulation Error Ratio) which should be easily added as a gnuradio block.

Bogdan