Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Equalization class help

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Equalization class help
Date: Tue, 13 May 2014 09:17:12 -0400

On Mon, May 12, 2014 at 10:43 AM, bob wole <address@hidden> wrote:
Thanks for your reply Tom. Could I have some  more explanation on it?  if a training sequence at start of each burst could help in fast convergence for burst modem?

--
Bob

Time-domain equalizers just generally take a bit of time to converge, and when there's no signal, it will try to equalize the noise floor, so every burst starts it fresh. It's certainly possible that the training sequence may be enough, and tuning the length of the equalizer and gain may help.

Also, if you know the training sequence, you could potentially use that to get calculate the channel. Look at the correlate_and_sync block, which uses a known training sequence to estimate the timing and phase of a burst. That could be modified to also estimate the channel and initialize your taps.

Tom