Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] low frequency in GRC

From: Activecat
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] low frequency in GRC
Date: Sun, 18 May 2014 09:51:34 +0800

On Sat, May 17, 2014 at 9:53 PM, Tom Rondeau <address@hidden> wrote:
So, yes and no on that. There's the information theoretic concept of sample rate, which is what you are talking about here. But underneath, we normalize all sample rates relative to 1. So it's the number of samples relative to that which matters. We provide the concept of "sample rate" in the signal generator block only to make it easy to use real values of Hz or cycles/second here. But the frequency you're talking about gets divided by the sample rate before anything else happens. So it's a convenience of representation.

Then there's the time-based concept of sample rate, which doesn't matter to a GPP but matters a great deal to physical hardware like your sound card or radio front end. That sample rate has a real physical meaning, and we have to acknowledge this when connecting multiple pieces of hardware together. Basically, we look at rate matching. But the computer or GNU Radio itself doesn't really know anything about 1 us per sample.

This is, I think, on of the more complicated concepts to get about software radio.

Tom

Thanks for the explanation.