[Discuss-gnuradio] Idea for gr-modtool

From: Michael Dickens
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Idea for gr-modtool
Date: Tue, 27 May 2014 08:52:36 -0400

Over the weekend, I helped out a couple people trying out the gr-howto example
on OSX < http://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/wiki/OutOfTreeModules >.
 The common are of issue -- which admittedly is primarily an OSX issue -- is
that the Python info which was used by GNU Radio's CMake build system was not
carried over into gr-modtool's CMake build system.  Instead, the latter looks
for Python again -- and, in this case if the correct CMake flags are -not- set,
then CMake finds the system install of Python instead of the MacPorts version.
Since these folks are using GNU Radio as installed by MacPorts, it's quite
important for the Python being used (header, library, executable, and
GR_PYTHON_DIR location) to be the same between the main GR install and whatever
gr-modtool sets up.  So, my proposal is to modify gr-modtool to hard-wire these
variables as found for the main GR install.  And, any other variables that make
sense to add in -- basically: why re-find the wheel?  I think the Python ones
are the only critical ones (for proper execution), but there are likely a few
for document building that could also be added.  Thoughts? - MLD