Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] pilot symbols in ofdm

From: Martin Braun
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] pilot symbols in ofdm
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2014 15:37:59 +0200

On 11.06.2014 14:43, Karan Talasila wrote:
Hi

Looking at the ofdm receiver at ofdm_rx grc, I see that schmidl and cox
synchronisation algorithm uses sync1 and sync2 which are two ofdm
training symbols that help in frequency offset correction and also
timing estimate to detect the start of the packet.

Then there is channel estimator block in grc that again uses preamble
ofdm symbol  to detect coarse frequency offset. In the entire
implementation I haven't seen the use of pilot symbols in each ofdm
symbol for either channel estimation or synchronisation. So does that
mean that if you are using a packet structure with a preamble there is
no need of pilots for any receiver processing.

I get this doubt because benchmark_rx.py which uses ofdm gives you a
terminal option saying occupied tones which can be set by user at
terminal. So if you can set or increase occupied tones to any number
less than fft length, then that means you can be flexible with
increasing or decreasing pilot symbols to a value that you want. Am I right?

Yes, you can use zero pilot carriers. They are used in the ofdm_frame_equalizer_vcvc, but our current implementations aren't very good. For longer frames, I recommend using pilot symbols (distributed in time, not frequency!), but for short packets, the initial estimation is sometimes enough, if your setup is two USRPs close to each other and you have something like 10 OFDM symbols total.