[Discuss-gnuradio] blocks.complex_to_arg() implementation

From: Daniele Nicolodi
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] blocks.complex_to_arg() implementation
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2014 16:15:36 +0200

Hello,

I haven't checked if it is true for the code currently in git (some
network problems here, I cannot access the repository), but in GNURadio
3.7.2 the complex_to_arg() block is implemented with an atan2() function
which has a quite large error (for my purposes, at least) and not the
standard math library atan2() function.

I think that this should be mentioned in the documentation. Should I
send a patch to add this info to the documentation?

Furthermore, even if the block does not use Volk for the computation the
block constructor still enforces alignment of the buffer to satisfy Volk
requirements, or at least this is what I believe the following code does:

      const int alignment_multiple =
        volk_get_alignment() / sizeof(float);
      set_alignment(std::max(1,alignment_multiple));

I think this should be removed. Should I send a patch for this as well?

There is interest in adding a complex_to_arg_slow() or similar block
that trades execution speed for precision?

Thanks. Cheers,
Daniele